A Travellerspoint blog

Leaving the safari

Kanchanaburi to Ayutthaya.

sunny 37 °C
View Southeast asia on Chelsandliam's travel map.

Today we got up early and did the monkey clean and feed like usual at 7.30am and said goodbye to all our monkeys. We finished the clean and were ready to unite Fang and Nala, our two adult breeding leopards but they had not eaten there food so we had to wait. This should have gone ahead today but we missed it as we left after breakfast. It was really hard leaving but we know we will be going back. We said goodbye to Tat and Ned and then went down to the cubs where everyone else was. We had a little cuddle and play with the tigers and leopards and said goodbye to the rest of the team. Adam and Danni had painted us a picture of the sunset at the back of our houses which made Chelsea cry.

We said goodbye to Toy, the tiger keeper which was really upsetting as she's our favourite. Her children have come to every English lesson we have done and they got Chelsea a leopard print scarf because she loves Mocha and Latte the cubs which made Chelsea cry again. Toy says the last 2 days they have asked to not go to school so they can spend the day with us at he safari and Toy instructed us to travel for her as she can't go and to come back and show her all our pictures. We will really miss all the team and our baby cubs which we have become very attached to.

After our emotional departure from the safari we set off to Kanchanaburi. We dropped of the bike we have been renting for a month and payed up with no problems and the owner taxi'd us to the bus station for free to thank us for our custom. He showed us which bus and we got on straight away. To get to Ayutthaya from Kanchanaburi you can pay for a minivan to take to direct of you can cath the local bus which is a lot cheaper, changing at Suphan Buri. We got on the 411 bus and it cost 50 baht to Suphan Buri. As soon as we got on everyone stared at us and the little girl in front of us couldn't stop looking at us and touching all our things. She was so curious about us and Chelsea gave her and her sister and mum some sweets we had. She was adorable and she gave us a little Wai to say thank you. Even when Chelsea was asleep she was still staing at her and she kept playing peekaboo over the seats.


Apart from our entertainment in the form of a really cute little girl the bus journey was quite uncomfortable. There is not much room for your legs and the seats are covered in faux leather. There are fans but they only work if the bus is stationary so it was hot and cramped all the way.... For £1 though you can't really complain. It took around two and a half hours to reach our change destination and we got straight onto our connecting bus to Ayutthaya which took around an hour and a half and cost 80 baht.

When we got to Ayutthaya we went in search of a nice place to stay. There are loads of options from tiny family run, extremely cheap places to big high end converted mansions. We enquired in a few different places and looked at one which was 300 baht for a double room with shared bathroom that wasn't that nice. For something so basic you could probably get it cheaper. We decided to stay in Chatana house. It is a beautiful big, wooden house that has been converted into a guest house. Upstairs they have private rooms with a small living space and bathroom and a balcony for 650 baht and downstairs there are aircon rooms for 600 baht and fan rooms for 500 baht. All the rooms have a private bathroom and are all spotlessly clean and decorated beautifully. We normally got for a much cheaper option but as we have been working so hard on the safari we decided to stay somewhere really nice.

We checked in and both had the longest shower ever known to feel clean again after the safari. It was amazing to have hot water. We relaxed in our room for a few hours and then went out for some tea. We walked through the streets and came to a wooden hut on stilts where you sit overlooking one of the ruins that dot Ayutthaya. We had a really nice meal and shared seafood and glass noodles and a whole cooked fish with spicy onion, chilli, lime and garlic salad on top. It was delicious.

We have not seen much of Ayutthaya yet but one major downside is all the aggressive dogs. Every street you take you are confronted with angry dogs that charge and bark at you. It is really scary, especially at night. Tomorrow we are going to try and rent some bycicles and have a ride around town and see some of the old temples that are throughout the city.

Posted by Chelsandliam 07:32 Archived in Thailand Tagged thailand ayutthaya

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


You have finally left?.It must have been quite upsetting, but like you say you are going back ,you will be missed but there is a lot more for you to see and do .Dogs don't sound very nice ,glad you have found a good place to stay enjoy every minute.The new photos are brill you both look so happy be careful on your travels lots of hugs and kisses Nan and Grandad xxxxxxxxx

by Nan and Grandad

Hi ya guys, sounds like it was vry hard 2 leave the zoo hpe yr both ok xxxx u will soon settle in 2yr sightseeing, ule av 2 carry a big stick 2 keep the dogs away, we hpe u av a lvely rest, we r still prayin 4 u both & lve u vry much all our lve c & s xxxxx

by chris & shell

Hi you two. Sorry to here you didnt get to see your leopard reunion, that was such a shame not to see there reaction. Glad to here you only cried twice Chels lol. Im sure you will return to the park so try and enjoy Ayuthaya without feeling sad. Im happy to here that you are spoiling yourselves a little bit with the upgrade in accomadation, it doesn't hurt now and then, especially with hot running water haha.
Have a really lovely day tomorrow and thank you for all the great photo's.
Love and kisses xxxxx mum & dad xxxxx

by Bev

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.